History

The manor of Rockbeare, meaning 'Rook Wood', is Grade I Listed and a fine example of a Regency country home which looks as though it has come straight out of a Jane Austen novel.  It was built in about 1760 for Sir John Duntze, a rich Exeter woollen merchant and banker, who added the splendid Adam-style dining room in 1769.  He represented Tiverton in Parliament from 1768 until 1795, and was made a baronet in 1774.  He died on 5 February 1795.  About 1820 the house was remodelled with complete simplicity and refinement.  The bows and top storey were added at this time, with the pavilions and arches belonging to the earlier scheme.

In 1914 Rockbeare Manor was inherited by Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Spencer Follett, who was invested as a Commander, Order of the British Empire (C.B.E.). Since 1855 Rockbeare Manor had been owned by the Nation family, from which, on his mother's side, Colonel Follett is descended.  For nearly thirty years before his succession in 1914 the house had been let on an annual lease to the Bolitho family, an arrangement which caused it to fall into a poor state of repair.  Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Spencer Follett died on 9th January 1940 and the house continued to be passed through the family, initially to his daughter Delia Follett and after she died, to her daughter Caroline Patricia Griffith-Williams.
Caroline later married Gerard Noel at Rockbeare Church on 28 June 1965.  They lived happily at Rockbeare Manor for much of their married life, bringing up their five children there also.

In September 2015 Rockbeare Manor was acquired on a long lease by our company, PM Hospitality, and, following on from our renowned reputation at our sister venues in Somerset, Coombe Lodge and Priston Mill - we are now delighted to bring our many years of experience, exceptional chefs and own style of personal service to Devon, where we promise to deliver equally memorable and expertly managed occasions. 

Rockbeare Manor has been given a new lease of life.  After an intensive renovation lasting 9 months - it has been sensitively transformed into a wonderful contemporary venue, whilst still retaining the beauty of its past.  We held our first event on 11th June 2016 and the venue is without doubt a truly outstanding setting for a wedding or special occasion.

Items marked with * are required